Longdesc thoughts

From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:20:08 -0500
To: "'Silvia Pfeiffer'" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "'John Foliot'" <john@foliot.ca>, <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
CC: "'Steve Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "'Michael Cooper'" <cooper@w3.org>, "'Judy Brewer'" <jbrewer@w3.org>
As a newbie to the group, I am still finding my way through the various
wiki's etc. I have just read Laura's proposal to leave in longdesc. I agree
with the Task force proposal for the following reasons:

1) There are webmasters who have put a concerted effort into implementing
Longdesc on their images over the years. They should not be punished for
having done the right thing. They should be able to migrate to HTML5 without
having to redo 10 years of accessibility work on their images.
2) Most AT vendors currently support Longdesc
3) Blind users know how to use it
4) It addresses concerns about how visually hidden long description text in
a currently supported fashion
5) It does not result in the chattiness of text being repeated to the screen
reader user (once when the user encounters the image, and once when the user
encounters the paragraph describing the picture) which is on the same page,
which describedby does.

I apologise for jumping into the longdesc discussion before reading the
proposal. I stand with the task force proposal on this.

Cheers
David MacDonald

... access empowers ...
                 ... barriers disable ...