W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > February 2012

Text Subteam Minutes for 21 February

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:17:53 -0500
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20120221191753.GG4951@sonata.rednote.net>
Minutes from the HTML-A11Y Task Force Text Subteam teleconference on
Tuesday 21 February are provided below in text and available as
hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2012/02/21-text-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                                        SV_MEETING_TITLE
                                                          21 Feb 2012

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Janina, Judy, David_MacDonald, Laura_Carlson

   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          david

Contents

     * Topics
         1. discuss meta-name generator re-open denial, and further revisions or formal objection
            http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0141.html
         2. discuss actions as needed in response to 204 (ARIA describedby as it relates to longdesc)
         3. confirm CP revisions for WG location of alt guidance http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/movealt
         4. update regarding figcaption
         5. confirm next meeting (note CSUN next week); identify next scribe; adjourn
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

discuss meta-name generator re-open denial, and further revisions or formal objection
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0141.html

   <janina> scribe: david

   <scribe> scribe: David

   JB: There is considerable concern that chairs do not understand the arguments of the meta Generator proposal, do not
   understand the propsal

   Janina: main issue... whether or not in a CMS there still is a need for alt text...

   <laura>
   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposal/meta_name%3Dgenerator_does_not_make_missing_alt_conforming#current_usage_
   of_meta_name.3Dgenerator_.28New.29

   Janina: important to understand that there is no CMS that prevent the ability to provide ALT text,

   <laura>
   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126#HTML5_Should_Not_Facilitate_the_Creation_of_Inaccessi
   ble_Content

   Laura: not only CMS but all kinds of authoring tools. Dreamweaver etc...
   ... they all allow alt text to be created which conforms to WCAG

   <Judy> Judy: We need to better emphasize that the user requirement for alt is real, but getting left out of the
   decision-making process.

   <Judy> Janina: the evidence that they're requesting is taking us off on tangents; they are missing the main points.

discuss actions as needed in response to 204 (ARIA describedby as it relates to longdesc)

   JB: ARIA Described by... have requested a coordination meeting regarding procedural problems.

   <laura> http://john.foliot.ca/aria-hidden/

   <Judy> JB: notes that John Foliot collecting examples to disprove the premise of the 204 call for proposal

   <Judy> ...he needs to post it onto the lists

   <Judy> Janina: or analyze it first

   <Judy> JB: i'll suggest that he posts it

   <Judy> JS: FYI, there is 'vestigial' text in ARIA that needs to be updated...

confirm CP revisions for WG location of alt guidance http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/movealt

   <Judy> JS: sent survey on SF CP on WG location of alt guidance

   <Judy> ...will close tomorrow before the TF

   <Judy> JB: people may not understand that it's still open for comment

   <Judy> JS: will extend.

update regarding figcaption

   <Judy> JB: the example evidence for alt was not as I expected; fewer long ones than I expected, including many that
   were "appropriate"; how interruptible is alt read-out, if starting a longer one?

   <Judy> JS: usually reads out automatically

   <Judy> DM: it is interruptible by arrowing down through it

   <Judy> DM: and ARIA describedby is read twice on the page

   <Judy> JB: are there were others that fell into a short-then-long distinction that could easily map to
   alt-then-longdesc

   <Judy> ...so this may best be deferrable till after longdesc is settled.

   <Judy> JS: CP for ish 203 is also missing, urgent to get

   <Judy> JB: ping John?

   <Judy> JS: will do

confirm next meeting (note CSUN next week); identify next scribe; adjourn

   <Judy> Next Meeting:

   <Judy> - not next week (CSUN)

   <Judy> - following week only if we have other confirmed attendance

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: David
Present: Janina Judy David_MacDonald Laura_Carlson

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Tuesday, 21 February 2012 19:18:20 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:53 GMT