libreoffice now implements HTML 5 canvas

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:47:10 -0600
To: "Paul Cotton" <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-canvas-api@w3.org
Cc: "Frank Olivier" <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, cyns@exchange.microsoft.com, jbrewer@w3.org, david.bolter@gmail.com, chuck@jumis.com, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, mike@w3.org

Paul, Sam,

You should consider reverting your vacated decision on canvas
caret/selection processing.

libreoffice now provides a full office suite, including rich text editing
using HTML 5 canvas:

http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/msg03226.html

Note: I had nothing to do with this email post but it certainly highlights
the problem the decision to vacate created. I also do not know the person
who made the post.

I should also note that the statements by some browser manufacturers that
you could not do an IME with Canvas was also inaccurate: Look at the broad
range of languages it supports: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
You should also mention that Google Docs also does not use contenteditable.
So, they also had to create their own IME.

The vacated decision has broken canvas accessibility efforts leaving
libreoffice without a vehicle to address its accessibility.

I hate to be right but I have been working on this stuff for 20 years.
Canvas is very close to what Windows application developers are used to. It
is logical that they would use canvas for this. This will be more pervasive
than you think.

At this point I see no reason to submit a new change proposal. You have the
one we submitted previously.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger