W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > December 2012

Task Force Teleconference Minutes for 13 December

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:07:25 -0500
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20121213170725.GE5101@concerto.rednote.net>
   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                                 HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

13 Dec 2012

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Janina_Sajka, Stevef, hober, IanPouncey, [IPcaller], chaals?, John_Foliot, Judy, Plh, chaals, David_MacDonald, Cynthia_Shelly

   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. holiday break?
         2. Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List
         3. Using ARIA in HTML http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/aria-unofficial/raw-file/tip/index.html CFC http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Dec/0075.html
         4. Longdesc Extension Update http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/b63325998cc1/longdesc1/longdesc.html
         5. Status of "alt" text in HTML (specification and usage in the
         6. Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping;
         7. Other Business
     * Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 13 December 2012

   <IanPouncey> Xakim, [IPcaller] is me

   <Stevef> document)

   <scribe> scribe: janina

holiday break?

   SF: I'm out after next week until the 7th

   js: Suggest we meet next week and then break until the week of Jan 7

   general agreement

Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

   janina is scribe

Using ARIA in HTML http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/aria-unofficial/raw-file/tip/index.html CFC http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Dec/0075.html

   sf: CfC in HTML-WG and also PFWG

   js: No objection in PF

   sf: Seems also none in HTML
   ... I sent CfC to TF as well, were a few minor suggestions and I've tweaked
   ... If there's any further objection, please advise soon

   [silence]

   <IanPouncey> Doesn't like I can be heard on the call - I'd like to help with the document.

   Offer accepted on call ...

   sf: Any further edit suggestions, please make known by Wednesday next

Longdesc Extension Update http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/b63325998cc1/longdesc1/longdesc.html

   sf: Update?

   cmn: Drafted proposed responses shared with co-facilitators
   ... There are short summary responses to such objections as were received
   ... Overall, most people supported fpwd publication
   ... Regret we haven't yet made the proposed resolutions to issues raised available on list, but there's nothing in the summary that hasn't previously been on list
   ... It's a summary compilation

   sf: We can send this to the list today

Status of "alt" text in HTML (specification and usage in the

   szakim, take up next

Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping;

   Bug Traige:

   leonie: We've been busy following up on about 120 bugs with various status conditions we want to confirm
   ... We're following up with various people, based on the nature of the bug
   ... Plea to everyone to respond, please!

   jb: Want to note that Leonie is being efficient and precise delegating work, and providing email that's easy to follow up on

   cs: Is working on these in January OK?

   leonie: Yes, we're simply following up on remaining issues

   Text Subteam

   <Judy> Text Subteam Report: We reconvened this Tuesday 11 Dec to review and to the extent possible process bugs that Leonie tossed over to us.

   <Judy> We processed some; came up with a few questions about how to _record_ transition of some bugs over to the TF, or to note deferral to HTML5.1. Minutes of 11 Dec
   meeting follow:

   <Judy> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Dec/0054.html

   <Judy> We will meet again on 18 Dec, and invite anyone who likes swatting bugs to join us.

   jb: Specific questions we uncovered in our review include:
   ... How to properly move a bug to HTML 5.1?
   ... How to assign a bug to the TF? Apart from any particular HTML rev?
   ... Leonie, do you have suggestions?

   Leonie: We've simply emailed people with our comments/suggestions. We've had complaints of flooding when we were annotating bugs directly.

   <Zakim> chaals, you wanted to say I don't think we need this yet...

   js: Suggest we consider whether keeping TF bugs in the HTML-WG Bugzilla is still appropriate under the new implications from Plan 2014

   chals: We should take this up in our chair considerations

   jf: Suggest we're already seeing this need

   cs: Can we have different email rules for different bugzilla components

   sf: Think that's a different question
   ... We can add/change/etc bugzilla components
   ... I'll ping Mike Smith about this

   jb: There's also an issue of TF items not necessarily being on either 5.0 or 5.1 timelines, because they're independent of WG timelines

   sf: All that needs happen is to ask for a particular component spec

   js: Examples?

   chals: Perhaps we should write up how to do this

   sf: longdesc, alt doc, etc
   ... It's simple for Mike to create a componant

   leonie: It may be useful which person is monitoring the bug

   js: The asignee?

   leonie: But our monitor, not the person responsible for the fix, necessarily

   chls: One approach to that is to clone the bug, gets two numbers, but the second number can be assigned to, and possibly even block, resolution of the first

   js: This sounds useful, perhaps we do simply need a quick summary of effective bugzilla use

   chls: Perhaps our own TF summary

   sf: I should also note that the individual user can cchoose betweentext and html email.
   ... Getting html eliminates the ASCII art and might be helpful

   jf: I'm generally not a fan of html emails, and would not want it to be default

   sf: That's my point, the user can choose

   <scribe> ACTION: Janina to start putting a Bugzilla Cheat Sheet together for TF due 20130201 [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-151 - Start putting a Bugzilla Cheat Sheet together for TF due 20130201 [on Janina Sajka - due 2012-12-20].

   AAPI Mapping

   cs: Still having great trouble finding a working telecon time
   ... Thinking we should move forward in email for now. The phone hasn't worked for us so far.

   sf: I've also been unavailable recently

   cs: Also been unavailable recently, hoping January will be easier

Other Business

   <Stevef> generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt attribute http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Dec/0034.html [from Stevef]

   sf: A problem in the editorial process of spec development
   ... Silvia updates change log to the list weely
   ... Anything added in the WHATWG spec is being auto added into W3C 5.1
   ... Even what appear to be minor editorial changes can break agreed conformance reqs
   ... We need to track these very closely for this reason
   ... So, the specific concern of the moment is the meta generator question again

   <hober> re: generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt in 5.1, I liked darobin's comments in http://www.w3.org/mid/50C9BE10.5070201@w3.org

   js: Believe issues we've resolved in 5.0 need not be undone in 5.1 through some process glitch. The burden is on nyone who wants a change made to make the case for
   the change, not for us to reargue the same points for 5.1

   jf: Suggest this might be a WHAT end run?

   sf: I think this is up to us to be aware and note these, so that we don't end up in this situation
   ... I should note Silvia does do some filtering and arranging of these, pointing out items she recognizes as controversial or in diff
   ... I've been in discussions about how things are added, or not, on the new HTML-Admin list
   ... We all need to pay more attention to this

   jb: Happy to revisit meta generator in 5.1, as we agreed we could consider new approaches

   sf: If these things slip in, I believe it's an honest mistake

   chals: We should always watch what goes in, because much is coming in, and the editors have a great burden to keep everything merged correctly
   ... We should be helping catch problem items
   ... At the least we should flag controversial changes we see and ask them be witheld at the editorial level

   ted: Echo Steve. Editors are trying to do the right thing, but it requiers dilligence, and we appreciate help on this
   ... Around the meta generator, have encouraged people that want to try other things to draft an extensions spec, for instance

   sf: Clearly 5.1 is the place to consider new/enhanced approaches
   ... Main conclusion: This is now on our radar, we should pay attention, and we'll bring it back for discussion here next week
   ... Noting the new list change in the HTML-WGm, please keep process discussion in the HTML-Admin list

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Janina to start putting a Bugzilla Cheat Sheet together for TF due 20130201 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: janina
Present: Janina_Sajka Stevef hober IanPouncey [IPcaller] chaals? John_Foliot Judy Plh chaals David_MacDonald Cynthia_Shelly
People with action items: janina

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair,	Protocols & Formats	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
	Indie UI			http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/
Received on Thursday, 13 December 2012 17:07:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 13 December 2012 17:07:54 GMT