Re: why are we pursuing this idea? (was: Implementation Details request on Issue 204 Decision)

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 00:09:09 +0100
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, public-html@w3.org, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Would you call that "promoting"?
>
> as Maciej has clarified what is meant, I would say yes.

I think the text is more critical than a Chair interpretation.

The actual text is:

> User Agents are encouraged to expose the full semantics of hidden="" elements to Assistive Technology when such elements are referenced from WAI-ARIA attributes such as aria-describedby="". However, because historically some User Agents have flattened hidden content when exposing such content to Assistive Technology, authors SHOULD NOT reference hidden content which would lose essential meaning when flattened.

If the intent of this text is to promote to authors
@aria-describedby-@hidden as a technique for providing rich content
descriptions (or even _hidden_ rich content descriptions), then I
don't think it succeeds …

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis