Re: why are we pursuing this idea? (was: Implementation Details request on Issue 204 Decision)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 00:50:03 +0200
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Chaals McCathieNevile <w3b@chaals.com>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-html@w3.org, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Tue, 21 Aug 2012 23:32:43 +0100:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Leif Halvard Silli:
>> My point was only that Firefox implements @longdesc. And thus,
>> that NVDA doesn't implement it because Firefox does not implement it,
>> makes little sense to me. Unless NVDA relies on 'visible UI' rather
>> than accessibility API, that is.
>
> http://www.nvda-project.org/ticket/809

That's the bug Steve pointed us to and which I have been commenting on.
Let me see if I can make myself clearer:

* The NVDA developer refuses to implement @longdesc because Firefox has
only implemented it in the accessibility layer. OK. That is his right.
But it is not a technical argument.

* He also says that 'If we do implement this, it will only be as a
temporary solution because of the lack of support in current accessible
browsers'. This is a technical argument. But it sounds like a incorrect
technical argument. At least today - 2 years later - where we hear that
Firefox *does* support @longdesc, in the accessibility API - which I
assume that NVDA would use.
--
leif halvard silli