RE: FORMAL OBJECTION (was RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-204 aria-hidden)

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:30:39 -0700
To: "'David Singer'" <singer@apple.com>
Cc: "'Maciej Stachowiak'" <mjs@apple.com>, "'Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis'" <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, "'Sam Ruby'" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, <public-html@w3.org>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
David Singer wrote:

> > >Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure I didn't suggest that. I don't think a mouth-stick
user
> > > who is not visually impaired would ever be exposed to the link,
> >
> > So then this technique is *ONLY* for visually impaired users?
>
> maybe I am being naive here, but surely the rule is, for any UA "if you
expose
> the link to the user, you must also be prepared to expose the content it
links
> to".

Not at all, I think that this is one of the key discussion points of this
thread.

At the risk of being intemperate, I think that the current Proposal is that
which is naive.

It proposes that a class of HTML-rich content only be exposed, in its full
HTML richness, to users who can "hear it" but will never see it (and as I
write that, I wonder aloud how a Deaf person might access this content today
as well).

At least this is my interpretation of Maciej's initial response to me. I
have not heard back from him since I posed my questions.

JF