Re: FORMAL OBJECTION (was RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-204 aria-hidden)

From: Chaals McCathieNevile <w3b@chaals.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:04:48 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org, "HTML Accessibility Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com>
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 02:47:54 +0200, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2012, at 19:39 , John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
>> And this is where there is a difference today: some (many?) tools HAVE
>> adopted and support @longdesc - and tools that far transcend screen
>> readers alone (for example, content authoring tools). But a small group
>> of engineers have it in their minds that @longdesc must go, and are
>> willing to swallow any hand-waving imagineering and "suggestions on how
>> it might work" tomorrow, in their fevered push to oust @longdesc at all
>> costs today.
>>

> Another plea for more temperate language.

And another.

> Generally I reckon those using intemperate language to be the ones who
> are 'fevered', and discount accordingly.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. In this case I happen to agree with those who
assert that the situation has been misinterpreted, leading to the wrong
decision. But escalating the pitch doesn't improve the signal:noise ratio,
and makes people shy about attaching their names to a position where
people have made the same calculation Dave describes.

cheers

--
Chaals - standards declaimer