Re: Audience Based Validator User Interface (ISSUE-206)

Hi Ben,

I would suggest replacing the current MUST emit conforming HTML5 documents
with 'MUST allow and should encourage authors to produce conforming
documents'.
I think this is a much more realistic and attainable goal for authoring
tools. The current requirement, unless some reference implementations are
available ,should be considered for removal before HTML5 reaches rec.

Note that the requirement you quote is already qualified in various
> ways. If we think additional qualifications are justified, can't we
> add them? For instance, the spec includes this qualification:
> "Authoring tools are exempt from the strict requirements of using
> elements only for their specified purpose, but only to the extent that
> authoring tools are not yet able to determine author intent. However,
> authoring tools must not automatically misuse elements or encourage
> their users to do so." We could expand this to "elements and
> attributes".

I am aware of this and am not talking about the cases where author intent
is not known or not discernable.  I agree that as much guidance as is
necessary is provided to authoring tool vendors , but to say "HTML5
authoring tools MUST NOT emit documents that do not conform to HTML5" is
taking theortical purity to its limits. It is just not practical in any
sense to expect any authoring tool to abide by this condition. If I am
incorrect in this assumption I am happy to be disabused.

regards
SteveF

--
with regards