W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > April 2012

TF Teleconference Minutes for 26 April

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:06:59 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20120426160659.GN4688@sonata.rednote.net>
   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                          HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

26 Apr 2012

   Agenda

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          John_Foliot, Janina, Judy, Mike, Cooper, Rich, Cynthia_Shelly

   Regrets
          Steve, Laura, David_McDonald

   Chair
          Mike

   Scribe
          janina, MichaelC, MikeSmith

Contents

     * Topics
         1. issue 204 status
         2. issue 203 deadline (Friday)
         3. canvas
         4. ARIA Processing
         5. text subteam report
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 26 April 2012

   <MikeSmith> scribe: janina

   <MikeSmith> oops

issue 204 status

   <MikeSmith> scribe: MichaelC

   <MikeSmith> scribe: MikeSmith

   janina: we told teh chairs we had a 204 proposal last week
   ... and we had a ton of further development on that since
   ... and Cynthia has put that into a proposal, Tuesday early evening
   ... I wrote to the chairs to say that I think it's ready
   ... but after that we had some more feedback, primarily for Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
   ... and and initiated a 48-hour CfC, which expires tomorrow
   ... at this point, maybe we should look together at his comments
   ... and asked if he might be able to be on teh call today, but he demurred
   ... Laura has said she will retract her CP if we put this forward

   judy: my impression from Laura's reply to Ben's comment was that she felt it might be addressable in Cynthia's CP

   <janina> Here's Benjamin's objection:

   <janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Apr/0199.html

   JF: one of his principle objections is that it makes it conforming to hide labels using the hidden attribute
   ... but part of it is, we are just trying to document reality
   ... the pont of the CP is not to add or extend functionality that does not exist, but to document what does
   ... there are some pretty heavy restrictions on what you can and can't do

   <judy> I think Benjamin's objection is in a later mail:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Apr/0200.html

   janina: there are examples in the CP where the CP says just that
   ... what we are talking about here is not a zero value, but somethign quite small

   JF: the first paragraph of that message is his objection

   [[

   I object to a CP that makes it conforming to hide labels and

   short descriptions with @hidden, as I don't believe a persuasive case

   has been made that this helps users or authors.

   ]]

   JF: I don't think we are trying to make a persuasive case, but just documenting that it *can* be done

   janina: wonderful statement in there is that this can already happen and people are already doing to, but the purpose
   is defining what the realistic limitations are
   ... but there are misunderstandings about what goes with it

   JF: I asked Ben before to give us the actual quotes from the specs that he says we are contradicting

   <janina> mike: See he's clearly saying "it violates the spec," but doesn't tell us where/how

   <janina> janina: I'll do that

   JF: I want to note that Matthew Turvey also responded and said why don't we just adopt his CP

   <janina> jf: Wanted to note that Matt also commented and pointed to a Bugzilla thread

   <scribe> scribe: janina

   janina: Yes, but that wasn't specifically to the 48-hour call

   rich: I've reviewed the I204 and think it's perfectly good

   jf: So you don't see any contradictions between the CP and ARIA spec?

   rich: No contradictions

   jf: Should we do a poll?

   judy: Think that's important

   Please +1 if you support the Issue-204 CP at http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Correct_Hidden_Attribute_Section_v2

   <JF> I for one support that Change Proposal

   +1

   <JF> so +1

   <richardschwerdtfe> +1

   <judy> +1

issue 203 deadline (Friday)

   <JF> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposal/Issue203

   <MikeSmith> janina: John needs help getting the details written

   rich: So asking for longdesc not describedat?

   jf: A mechanism for short and long text description?
   ... Mechanisms we have now in HTML 5 are alt and (hopefully) longdesc -- noting the dependency on Issue-30

   rich: What does alt do here with images turned off?
   ... alt pertains to the video file, not the poster, correct?

   jf: correct

   rich: So alt is rendered with images off?

   jf: Correct

   rich: Doesn't title get rendered with images off?

   jf: Quoting spec ... re a11y

   janina: The thing that gets lost in these conversations is that when the video is not running it functions on screen as
   a static image

   rich: Does this CP talk about that? Should it?
   ... So, if images are turned off, user has contextual info about that video ...
   ... Important that we don't want that rendered with video running
   ... Needs to state somehwere that alt goes away when the video is triggered to run

   jf: I need technical/editorial assistance to write this correctly

   rich: Silvia?

   jf: Silvia is adament that a transcript would suffice as a long description
   ... believe the community would not accept that

   janina: definitely not, no question

canvas

   rich: is there a proposal from Ted? Is there a URI

   mike: Don't think anyone knows

   rich: We do have some proposals
   ... also have email of new info on carat etc would like use cases moved from what-wg wiki to the proposal

ARIA Processing

   michael: trying to understand other cp issues
   ... seem to be some misunderstanding but also some difference on approach
   ... want feedback not by reference, other cp seems to prefer reference

   rich: html does define the root ref when svg and mathml are incorporated by ref, but aria doesn't work that way

   michael: willing to go back to a reference approach

   rich: we don't want to change the spec every time we change aria

   micael: also role attribute not defined by aria

   rich: need to defer to uaig processing rules

   michael: also, ian pushed back on role=list
   ... only processes the first

   rich: there's no basis on how expensive this is, at least at this time
   ... currently, uaig says first valid role is the one used

   <judy> === Summary of Text Alternatives Sub-Team of HTML A11Y TF ===

   <judy> http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html

   <judy> Reviewed CP deadlines and coordination in progress

   <judy> Need to resolves priorities between Issue 203 & Issue 199

   <judy> Requests from H5 CoChairs for more info on Issue 194: Video transcript

   <judy> Review of actual alts in HTML WG specs, David completed review

   mike: One more important thing

   <judy> Intend to present these as bugs at level of editorial clarifications

   <judy> Review of alt guidance in HTML5 spec and SF's doc, David also taking up

text subteam report

   <judy> DM & JS having work session on both this Friday

   <judy> Issue 204, ARIA hidden, John merging his CP, Laura likely to w/ pending edits

   <judy> Issue 31c, Meta generator, draft CP in progress, available for comment shortly

   <judy> Issue 203, Media descriptions, John expects to have draft by Thursday

   <judy> Issue 194, Video transcripts, Mike will have on agenda this Thursday

   <judy> === end of text subteam report ===

   judy: also still working on meta generator draft ...

   mike: other business for today?

   [silence]

   mike: no meeting next week ...
   ... we have the f2f
   ... next meeting may 9

   <MikeSmith> chair's feedback about JF issue-194 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0141.html

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Scribes: janina, MichaelC, MikeSmith
Present: John_Foliot Janina Judy Mike Cooper Rich Cynthia_Shelly
Regrets: Steve Laura David_McDonald

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Thursday, 26 April 2012 16:07:33 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:58 GMT