W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > April 2012

text subteam Minute Tuesday April 24

From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:17:59 -0400
Message-ID: <BLU0-SMTP23DADBA5E3FADEFC9618F1FE260@phx.gbl>
To: "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html

 


DRAFT -


SV_MEETING_TITLE


24 Apr 2012


See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-irc> 


Attendees


Present

Janina, David_MacDonald, John_Foliot, Judy, Laura_Carlson

Regrets

Chair

Judy

Scribe

David, janina, JF


Contents


*	Topics <http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#agenda>  

1.	update on coordination and check of deadlines for this week
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item01> 
2.	alt bugs: update on CP for HTML5 in-spec alt guidance bugs
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item02> 
3.	buggy alts: update on checking alt texts in HTML5 spec itself
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item03> 
4.	issue 204 (ARIA hidden) update on 204 change proposal mergers
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item04> 
5.	issue 31c: (Meta generator) draft updated change proposal for
discussion <http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item05> 
6.	issue 203: (Media descriptions) update on change proposal
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item06> 
7.	issue 194: (Video transcripts) discussing next steps since review
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item07> 
8.	confirm next meeting; identify next scribe; adjourn
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#item08> 

*	Summary of Action Items
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/24-text-minutes.html#ActionSummary> 

  _____  

<JF> hello?

<Judy> scribe: David

<janina> http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc


update on coordination and check of deadlines for this week


jf: will get in something for friday on the 203 ...
... wondering if should wait til second last call

jb: if we have priority collision then maybe

<Judy> 199: (aria-processing) pursuing this week, and into the h5 f2f if
needed

janina: 194 is about associating text transcript with video


alt bugs: update on CP for HTML5 in-spec alt guidance bugs


<janina> scribe: janina

dm: Have reviewed SF's alt doc, and HTML spec re alt
... Have some examples of bad alt guidance in spec
... Think WCAG should look at SF's doc
... Mainly, I took some notes while doing my 'buggy alt' action

<David> scribe: David

<janina> judy: Can someone help with this?

<janina> dm: Yes

David and Janina to review alt guidance inHTML 5 spec

<janina> judy: So, js and dm will coordinate Friday on this


buggy alts: update on checking alt texts in HTML5 spec itself


<janina> dm: Have emailed a doc with review, i think it's finished

<J_F> scribe: JF

<J_F> David forwarded the rsults of his review

<J_F> exec summary is 9 images in spec have no alt text, but should have
some

<J_F> suspects taht they were used to embelish content on the same page -
contrary to WCAG 2

<J_F> one image has alt text of 108 words

<J_F> 2 major issues, then there are some other alt texts that are
questionable - wouldn't fail but could review

<J_F> David's report has screen caps and associted alt text if anyone wishes
to review

<J_F> Daivd: there seems to be a philosophical divide, as the null alt
appears to be intentional rather than a mistake

<J_F> JB: suspect that next step is that this is preliminary, but needs to
be written up so that it could be presented as a batch or as individual
'things' to address

<J_F> JB: timing is less than ideal

<J_F> would be nice if we could get these done as editorial clarrifications

<J_F> JB: they likely need to be written up as impartially as possible: note
image, problem, proposed alt text, thank-you

<J_F> +Q

<J_F> JB: how hard would it be to convert from what we have to what we need?

<J_F> David to set up a wiki page to work on this

<J_F> David: will need assistance will inserting images

<J_F> JF to assist David if/when required


issue 204 (ARIA hidden) update on 204 change proposal mergers


<janina>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Apr/0162.html

<scribe> scribe: David

jb: will touch base with Benjamin to close 204
... Cynthia about to wrap with Laura

Laura: this should address Benjamin's concerns also

jb: we'll tell chairs after the call that we are wrapping 204

<laura>
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Apr/0173.html>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Apr/0173.html

<laura> bye


issue 31c: (Meta generator) draft updated change proposal for discussion


<Judy>
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Text_Alternatives/Meta_Generator_Decision
_Comments

<Judy>
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Text_Alternatives/Meta_Generator_Decision
_Comments#Structure_of_the_.3Cimg.3E_Element

jb: will be looking for input on this CP

janina: prefer discussion of USER centred discussion rather than
conformance. ..

<J_F> +Q

jf: first time seeing.... i need to read this in detail, how do I provide
feedback

jb: this should not be out of the blue, Steve Faulkner asked to re-open...
we'll take up questions he didn't have answered. .. should have something to
review on Thursday

jf: that is fine

jb: let us know if you want us to review


issue 203: (Media descriptions) update on change proposal


<Judy> Judy: John is writing this this week, hopes to have draft by
Thursday.


issue 194: (Video transcripts) discussing next steps since review


janina: mike smith will be looking at 194 this Thursday


confirm next meeting; identify next scribe; adjourn


Summary of Action Items


[End of minutes]

  _____  

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm>  version
1.136 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/> )
$Date: 2012/04/24 18:15:48 $ 
  _____  


 

 

Cheers

David MacDonald

 

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

  "Enabling the Web"

www.Can-Adapt.com <http://www.can-adapt.com/> 

 
Received on Tuesday, 24 April 2012 18:18:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:58 GMT