Re: Finalizing an Issue-204 CP

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 23:20:27 -0400
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, "david100@sympatico.ca" <david100@sympatico.ca>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "Jonas Sicking (jonas@sicking.cc)" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis writes:

> Saying "The text children of the element will be flattened to a
> string" is a direct contradiction of the ARIA specification which
> takes account of various elements and attributes in the calculation of
> the accessible name and description.
>
> Markup is a "string" so "string" is the wrong word to use here:

Pish posh. This argument is simply sophistry.

Markup may use the same chars, but I suspect all of us understand "string"
in this context.

"String" has been used the way this CP is using it for decades.

And you were on such a long string of great comments! Nevertheless, we
needn't string you up over this loose one.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net