Re: video and long text descriptions / transcripts

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:16:47 -0700
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

On Mar 30, 2012, at 14:52 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to see a (civilized) discussion of a core question that
> relates to the issues 194 and 203 [2] for video.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194
> [2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203
>
> We keep talking about "long text descriptions for videos" and
> "transcripts" as separate things. There is an implied assumption that
> we need two different solutions for these, which I would like to
> challenge.

Ah.  I think that
a) they are semantically different;  if I am looking for the transcript specifically, a long textual description may not meet the need, and so they should be semantically distinct
b) authors are unlikely to provide both, however
c) the transcript/description should be part of the 'normal DOM'
d) the relationship should be discoverable by anyone, not just accessibility tools
e) they should use a common mechanism to link the media to its transcript/description etc.

David Singer