W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > September 2011

Text Subteam Minutes for 12 September

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:42:05 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20110912164205.GA28235@sonata.rednote.net>
Minutes from the HTML-A11Y Task Force Text Subteam teleconference on
Monday 12 September are provided below in text and are available as
hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2011/09/12-text-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                                        SV_MEETING_TITLE

12 Sep 2011

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          John_Foliot, Judy, Lynn

   Regrets
          Laura

   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. response(s) on longdesc
         2. status/discussion meta generator proposal
         3. status/discussion table summary
         4. status/discussion fig caption
         5. update from bug triage team regarding any incoming text-alternative-related bugs?
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribe: janina

response(s) on longdesc

   judy: Will follow up this week on John's draft

   janina, me too

   judy: Other responses needed?

   john: Matt has updated his no change cp following on suggestion from Sam that the original cp was weak
   ... either two responses? or single response to all issues?

   <JF> Matt's CP: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/LongdescZeroEdit

   john: Thinking that rsponding to Matt's specific assertions would be useful

   Judy, Usually direct and substantive response is best.

   Judy, If concern about past interaction, perhaps 'reflections on' ton the TF list first?

   John, Want to finish Jonas response first

   John, Can suggest some pointers where the issues where previously responded

   Judy, Let's keep it simple ...

   Judy, I'll respond to your draft today, interested to see Janina's terse approach, etc

status/discussion meta generator proposal

   Judy, Suggest Text call resolve and forward to TF now

status/discussion table summary

   status is that Laura believes more use case development would be useful

   Judy, Question may be whether the Josh proposal matches the questions from the Chairs table summary decision

   Janina, Can look midweek

   Janina, Will respond on line

   <Judy> ACTION: janina read and respond to josh's table summary comments, and respond to Laura's comments [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2011/09/12-text-minutes.html#action01]

status/discussion fig caption

   Judy, noting recent interesting suggestions from Steve Faulkner

   Judy, Not sure it changes the bottom line, where some number certain can divide between useful and nonuseful alt
   standins

   Judy, Geoff and I have found some more examples that I can share, but need a bit of intro

   Judy, May be that we need a warning not a conformance error

   <Judy> Janina, in particular, may be relevant to add warnings for assistive technologies not to read out anything over
   a certain length

   Judy, Janina, can you bring this up at CG?

   Janina, Yes

update from bug triage team regarding any incoming text-alternative-related bugs?

   <JF> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13668

   Janina, Maciej interested in this issue when I reported on our TF discussion during the WG telecon last Thursday

   Janina, We were uncertain whether this is HTML spec, or CSS spec, etc.

   Janina, We set up a subteam to deal with this directly, chaired by John

   John, Tab Atkins responded on bug, will have conversation with him after this week when next he's available to discuss

   Lynn, Who generates this content?

   John, That's the issue. Sometimes UA, sometimes CSS, etc., etc

   John, Benjamin Hawkes-lewis suggets generated text is a a11y failure, CSS should not generate

   Judy, Judy, How long will this subteam need to come to an opinion?

   John, Unsure

   Judy, Encouraging John to plan work so that the subteam doesn't become a self-perpetuating long term effort

   Janina, Scope may be sufficient to clearly identify the issue. We don't have the "elevator speech" on this yet

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: janina read and respond to josh's table summary comments, and respond to Laura's comments [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2011/09/12-text-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Monday, 12 September 2011 16:42:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:44 GMT