Re: draft of hit testing on active regions (actually paths) in canvas

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote on 10/27/2011 07:42:40 PM:

> From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
> Cc: franko@microsoft.com, chucko@jumis.com, david.bolter@gmail.com,
> cyns@exchange.microsoft.com, public-html-a11y@w3.org,
> janina@rednote.net, jbrewer@w3.org, public-canvas-api@w3.org
> Date: 10/27/2011 07:43 PM
> Subject: Re: draft of hit testing on active regions (actually paths)in
canvas

> Some feedback:
>
> Limiting to only allowing paths seems like a unfortunate limitation.
> For example it misses calls to drawImage which I think is quite
> common. I'd rather prefer a call where you say "all drawing operations
> from this point should be considered drawing for element X", then let
> the page do arbitrary drawing operations, then have a second call
> which says "i'm now drawing for element Y" or "I'm now drawing for no
> element".

I see. So what would you use compute the bounds? Do you use the all the
points to compute a single rectangle for hit testing? ... or do you compute
multiple paths for an element to do hit testing on?

> What is the use case for the zIndex argument? The actual pixel drawing
> operations hasn't had a need for that so far and instead rely on the
> painters algorithm. It seems better to me to have a direct mapping
> between the drawing operations and the accessibility API.

zIndex: Performance and authors may have overlapping drawing objects.

> Why return false rather than throw an exception if the element doesn't
> exist? Also what do you mean by "doesn't exist". If the element
> doesn't exist then how could the page have a reference to it and pass
> that reference to the function? Do you mean "element isn't inside the
> canvas"?

Throwing an exception makes sense. I meant the element did not exist. I am
thinking that the author may have content outside fallback such as a drop
down menu. We could limit the elements to the fallback content. I would
like your feedback on that.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2011JulSep/0195.html