Re: [media] issue-152: documents for further discussion

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:13:42 +1000
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "Mark Vickers @ Comcast" <mark_vickers@cable.comcast.com>, Eric Winkelman <E.Winkelman@cablelabs.com>, David Agranoff <d.agranoff@cablelabs.com>
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2011, at 2:07 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>

>>> Support for text tracks are specified in the DASH spec. See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Feb/0151.html example 1 in appendix G.
>>
>> Sure. But DASH is not supported in HTML.
>
> It's supported;  support isn't required, but I can't see any reason why
>
> <video src="silvia.mpd" ... />
>
> wouldn't work, if the browser (or its underlying media system) knows how to handle DASH MPDs.

I guess it's no different to when different browsers support different
media encoding formats. But to me it makes no sense if every browser
supports a different manifest format. That just increased the
complexity of the Web manifold - seeing as for the "Web" to work, you
need browsers and servers and proxies. In short, I do see a need for
an adaptive streaming manifest format to be standardized across
browsers.

>> I am saying we need to wait
>> until that time. The a11y TF is not the right forum to discuss
>> addition of HTTP adaptive streaming to HTML.
>>

> agreed.

:-)

Silvia.