From: Janina Sajka [mailto:janina@rednote.net]
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 8:03 PM
To: Sam Ruby; Maciej Stachowiak; Paul Cotton; Michael(tm) Smith (mike@w3.org)
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force; public-html@w3.org; Judy Brewer; Philippe Le Hegaret; Laura Carlson
Subject: Request to Reconsider ISSUE-30 Decision

The HTML-A11Y Task Force supports the change proposal for longdesc prepared and stabilized by Laura Carlson at:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc

Also, please see our "Call for Consensus" email at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0360.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0361.html

The Task Force believes that this change proposal properly addresses critical accessibility requirements for longer length descriptions of graphics, while also addressing objections previously raised against longdesc. We request that this change proposal serve as the basis for reconsideration of the ISSUE-30 decision in the HTML-WG. The Task Force notes its support of this proposal in the following resolutions logged at:
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/16-text-minutes.html

RESOLUTION:
	The Task Force supports the Issue 30 Change Proposal at:
	http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc

Because the Task Force also strongly believes it critical that longdesc support be included with any last call HTML publication, it has further reached consensus on the following:

RESOLUTION:
	The Task Force supports a Formal Objection escalation should it appear that HTML last call is to be published without the longdesc as in our supported proposal

Regards,

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net