Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video (and using ARIA)

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 10:54:11 +0100
To: "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@zufelt.ca>
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 6:32 AM, E.J. Zufelt <everett@zufelt.ca> wrote:
> Let us take as an example a video of cats playing in the snow, with a
> initial still image of ACME Video Co. in the Super Duper Video Player (as
> some sites may wish to brand the player, even though it is implemented by
> the UA).  The following would be required for assistive technology users.
> 1. Video player: role="video player", name="Super Duper Video Player",
> description="".

I suspect the brand name of the player chrome belongs on a container
of which the controls are a descendant rather than on the video
element itself. HTML headings, aria-labelledby, and figcaption all
provide ways to provide such a brand name on such a container and
associate it with the video and controls as a set.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis