Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2011 11:57:56 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Philip,
>>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>> However, I'm quite certain one wouldn't want to navigate the page
>>> one is on to open the transcript, rather one would want to open a
>>> separate
>>> window, perhaps overlapping the current one so that one can
>>> simultaneously
>>> access both the video and the transcript.
>>
>> It's a URL, which you can open in a separate tab/window with CRTL or ALT,
>> right?
>
> Not in context menus, AFAIK. In context menus you instead have several
> options, e.g. Opera has "open", "open in new tab" and "open in background
> tab" in the context menu for links.

Hmm... I can get a context menu item in Firefox to open in a new tab
by META clicking on it. Thought that was universal... well, then
several entries would be required for that ...

>>> In some cases it might be best to
>>> let the page author decide where the transcript should be shown, so that
>>> we
>>> should have a JavaScript callback to open the transcript.
>>
>> If the page author decides to provide the URL on the page through some
>> user interaction, a @transcription attribute is probably not required.
>> In this case the use of @transcription could only be useful to allow
>> crawler to use the text on an additional page for indexing and search
>> as further information about the video.
>
> It would be nice if choosing "transcript" from the context menu had the same
> effect as clicking the script-backed "transcript" button in the page.

I don't really think that's necessary. I think a script can and should
do whatever. It doesn't have to hook into the browser's default
rendering, but can replicate that fully IMO.

> However, it might not be a good idea to let scripts take part in or
> otherwise influence context menus, I think most users perceive those as
> native browser features (because they are).

Yeah, that's another issue.

>> I wonder of course also whether that attribute should be called
>> @longdesc, though I really don't like that name. @transcription is
>> much more sensible on audio and video.
>
> I would suggest "transcript".

Fine by me. I was concerned about finding something that works both
for audio and video and for anything that's not just a movie, but also
other types of content such as home video.