Re: [media] alt technologies for paused video

On Mon, 09 May 2011 11:57:56 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
> wrote:

>> However, I'm quite certain one wouldn't want to navigate the page
>> one is on to open the transcript, rather one would want to open a
>> separate
>> window, perhaps overlapping the current one so that one can
>> simultaneously
>> access both the video and the transcript.
>
> It's a URL, which you can open in a separate tab/window with CRTL or
> ALT, right?

Not in context menus, AFAIK. In context menus you instead have several
options, e.g. Opera has "open", "open in new tab" and "open in background
tab" in the context menu for links.

>> In some cases it might be best to
>> let the page author decide where the transcript should be shown, so
>> that we
>> should have a JavaScript callback to open the transcript.
>
> If the page author decides to provide the URL on the page through some
> user interaction, a @transcription attribute is probably not required.
> In this case the use of @transcription could only be useful to allow
> crawler to use the text on an additional page for indexing and search
> as further information about the video.

It would be nice if choosing "transcript" from the context menu had the
same effect as clicking the script-backed "transcript" button in the page.
However, it might not be a good idea to let scripts take part in or
otherwise influence context menus, I think most users perceive those as
native browser features (because they are).

>> This might be
>> overkill, but something to consider.
>
> Indeed! :-)
>
> I wonder of course also whether that attribute should be called
> @longdesc, though I really don't like that name. @transcription is
> much more sensible on audio and video.

I would suggest "transcript".

--