Re: Moving longdesc forward: Recap, updates, consensus

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 20:16:21 +0200
To: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Tantek Çelik, Sat, 7 May 2011 09:51:57 -0700:

> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 18:36, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:
>> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's Tantek's objection from the poll:
>>>
>>> "[@longdesc] is one of the worst forms of invisible metadata
>>>  or "dark data" which are known to rot and become inaccurate
>>>  over time (see: meta keywords, RDF in comments, sidefiles, etc.)."
>>
>> Links rot; this is a known problem.
>
> To be clear - the data/content rot I refer to is *not* the link rot
problem.

That might be what you had in mind in your poll comment - however
w.r.t. your longdesc lottery article ...

  [...]

> In the case of "longdesc" - the content rot scenario is that a web
> author changes the image (src) to point to something else, but forgets
> to update the longdesc to point to a new description  because it is
> hidden metadata and isn't apparent as being "wrong" when the author
> refreshes the page in their browser to check it.

... when you prepared your "longdesc lottery" article, did you came
across any longdesc links where it was obvious that the @longdesc
pointed to an image description, but where the image description did
not matter anymore because the img's @src had been updated and now was
pointing to another image?

> Was there already a debate somewhere between longdesc="" vs.
> rel="longdesc" ?

If you look at the change proposal Laura has been authoring, then yes,
the use of anchor elements is discussed - as are many other
alternatives to @longdesc.
--
Leif H Silli