Re: Moving longdesc forward: Recap, updates, consensus

From: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:25:19 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>

On 5/6/11 6:05 AM, "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2011 03:58:12 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli
<xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:

>> I could although I do think it has mainstream benefits. Should we push
>> for this to be a MUST

Yes

GF:
I also agree.

>> and accept a SHOULD if it is not acceptable to
>> browser manufacturers?

Hmmm. Browser manufacturers all already recognise it in the DOM (it's
required for compatibility with e.g. screen readers that look for it).
Adding an extension to a browser to find it is not that difficult (If I
can get it half right in a couple of days a real programmer can do this
easily).

>> My concern is that if we make it a SHOULD we remove the argument that
>> there are mainstream benefits from longdesc.

And mine is that if it's only a should we suggest that this isn't critical
functionality, just a nice-to-have, which is incorrect.

GF:
Ditto.