Re: Moving longdesc forward: Recap, updates, consensus

On Fri, 06 May 2011 03:04:28 +0200, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Laura Carlson
> <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 10.6.1 USER AGENT RENDERING (informative)
>> http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld-rendering.html
>>
>> I have updated the 10.6.1 User Agent rendering draft trying to
>> incorporate Chaals suggestion to add info on real world
>> implementations and Leif's suggestion to add info on iCab's
>> contextual-menu cursor. Is it okay?
> I'm not sure about this. It seems highly unusual for a W3C
> spec to refer to particular implementations by name. I think
> it would be better to use their implementations to inform our
> examples of how to implement them.
> Chaals, did you really mean the spec text should call out existing
> implementations by name?

Oh. No, I think the CP should call out the implementations used for
demonstration by name. Spec text should be wary of sounding like it has
*the* answers for how to do UI, since after a while people often figure
out how to do it better... and specific implementations go in and out of
style.

cheers