Re: Moving longdesc forward: Recap, updates, consensus

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 12:05:15 +0200
To: "Richard Schwerdtfeger" <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "Leif Halvard Silli" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: "Laura Carlson" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, "Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis" <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, "Geoff Freed" <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, "HTML Accessibility Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "Steve Faulkner" <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>
On Fri, 06 May 2011 03:58:12 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli
<xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:

> Richard Schwerdtfeger, Thu, 5 May 2011 16:02:10 -0500:
>> Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote on 05/05/2011 12:09:33

>>> But the text in 4.8.1 is normative. 4.8.1
>>> reads: "User agents should allow users to access long text
>>> alternatives." Can you live with that?
>>>
>> I could although I do think it has mainstream benefits. Should we push
>> for this to be a MUST

Yes

>> and accept a SHOULD if it is not acceptable to
>> browser manufacturers?

Hmmm. Browser manufacturers all already recognise it in the DOM (it's
required for compatibility with e.g. screen readers that look for it).
Adding an extension to a browser to find it is not that difficult (If I
can get it half right in a couple of days a real programmer can do this
easily).

>> My concern is that if we make it a SHOULD we remove the argument that
>> there are mainstream benefits from longdesc.

And mine is that if it's only a should we suggest that this isn't critical
functionality, just a nice-to-have, which is incorrect.

> That said: One of the examples in the Rendering text is a javascript
> implementation, so it is not 100% true that we *remove* it. Also, If we
> say MUST, do we then create the impression that it is useless if it
> gets a SHOULD?

No, we (as argued above) imply that this is a valuable rather than
critical feature.

cheers

Chaals