Re: Feedback on MediaController

While writing a blog post with some multitrack examples this past
weekend, I discovered that one of the things that we requested about
getKind() on grouped multitrack resources is actually satisifed with
the new addition of the getKind() interface on in-band tracks.

(BTW - here's the blog post:
http://blog.gingertech.net/2011/05/01/html5-multi-track-audio-or-video/
)

This is the relevant part of the discussion:

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> The biggest issue with this approach is discoverability. A Web developer
>> that has to deal with multiple resources for which he doesn't a-priori
>> know what kinds of tracks they have available in-band has no chance to
>> find this out through script if there is no interface that exposes this
>> information. It would need to be done server-side.
>
> I don't see much problem with doing it server-side, but I have no problem
> exposing it to scripts too if we can find documentation I can use to work
> out how to expose it.

I can now answer my own question: script can discover the kind of the
tracks provided from grouped resourced in the same way as it does from
in-band resourced: by looking at the audioTracks and videoTracks
provided within the grouped resources and doing a getKind() call on
them. I'm very happy that this does not require data-* attributes any
more!