W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > June 2011

Media Teleconference Minutes for 15 June

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:07:26 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20110615230726.GI2681@sonata.rednote.net>
Minutes from the teleconference of the HTML-A11Y Task Forc Media Subteam are provided below in text and are available in hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2011/06/15-html-a11y-minutes.html

   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                          HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

15 Jun 2011

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Judy, Janina, frankolivier, John_Foliot, Eric_Carlson, +61.2.801.2.aacc, silvia

   Regrets
   Chair
          John_Foliot

   Scribe
          Janina_Sajka

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Paused Media: Updates? Browser Support?
         2. Hierarchical Navigation: Progress Checkin
         3. Texted Descriptions: Requirements on A11y APIs
         4. 3GPP Request Followup http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0316.html
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 15 June 2011

   <scribe> Meeting: HTML-A11Y telecon

   <scribe> Scribe: Janina_Sajka

   <scribe> agenda: this

   trackbot, start meeting

   <trackbot> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

   <trackbot> Date: 15 June 2011

Paused Media: Updates? Browser Support?

   We need bugs filed on browsers ...

   Janina also discussed with ARIA meeting this week where the question of UI behavior was raised.

   Also, there were several ARIA issues logged to track progress on this.

   http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/458http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/457

   <jfoliot> the describedby spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/states_and_properties#aria-describedby

   <silvia> aria-label or aria-describedby is not sufficiently specified in the WAI-ARIA spec to include or exclude markup

   JB: Concerned whether ARIA implementations are exposing CR problems.

   ec: Defs are ambiguous so that's why we have different behavior in different browsers.

   jf: I sfiling bugs against browsers premature?

   ec: Unless we can point to where it says: "Behave as follows."

   JS: ARIA wants to think this through end to end, especially the user experience with UI before moving to clarify specs

   jb: Suggesting Geoff, Jim Allen, Kelly Ford, and Jean Spellman.

   jf: Also suggesting Markku

   sp: It's really the user experience, not the user agent.

   js: Correct
   ... I will prepare quick issue summary to help bring our conversation invitees up to speed on this question.
   ... JS will invite the above.

Hierarchical Navigation: Progress Checkin

   <silvia> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Navigation

   sp: Not much by way of solutions, but attempts to describe the problem.
   ... Needs to take potential solutions to the list
   ... Would appreciate feedback, including use case, etc., to make sure it's all ok
   ... Prefers we do this correctly, rather than to a deadline
   ... Would like to avoid a poor spec just to make the deadline

   jf: Concerned that chapters is a webvtt construct, yet some content will be ttml based

   sp: chapters are a track construct, not webvtt

   ec: agree with Silvia, see two aspects to this
   ... How to express the hierarchy in some context format -- not our issue here
   ... How to reflect that struct in html, and this is our problem

   jf: Seems the struct is simple, is it that difficult to express to UA?

   <silvia> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/TextFormat_Mapping_to_Requirements#cn1 <- example of markup in TTML

   ec: We have no say in how content specifies the hierarchy.
   ... Once we're given that, whatever it is, we need to be able to express that through the track mechanism.

   jf: You're unsure of how to express this in the API?

   ec: yes

   jf: Having trouble grocking that

   sp: Think of it as the ml is in an external file, or perhaps the video file, when it comes into the browser there's
   nothing in the DOM from thiis ml, it only goes to shadow dom
   ... So not as simple as adding a list into dom
   ... we need to find a way around that

   jf: but why not?

   sp: security, other concerns, of introducing additional struct into an existing page
   ... I'm also on shaky ground here, unsure of how to solve this

   jf: So we're already adding into the dom via track ...

   ec: But, the addition of the track is all that goes into dom, the remainder goes into shadow dom, so only visible to
   javascript

   <silvia> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-iframe-element.html#texttrackcue <- this is all we have available in the
   browser about the cues

   ec: ua knows what's were, and can wire it all up ok, but that's not enough. the problem is exposing it all to js

   sp: maybe we just haven't thought this through enough, maybe it is solvable

   <silvia> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/infrastructure.html#documentfragment
   http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-iframe-element.html#dom-texttrackcue-getcueashtml();

   sp: it may be that nothing is missing

   jb: how can we keep on schedule while we sort this out? uncomfortable with the notion that the deadline isn't a
   problem.

   jf: find it hard to believe that a sophisticated js can't consume something as old and basic as <h> nested header
   concept
   ... would rather make the deadline with something proposed, just to keep this moving for this spec, rather than missing
   a rev

   jb: so how do we find out for sure that we have all the pieces?

   jf: asking whether increasing our mtgs will help?

   sp: don't think it's a question of telecons or conversation

   jb: Silvia, do you have a sense of what time is needed?

   sp: I can do it by next week, but it's not just up to me. I need responses on list and on wiki. I can't do it alone.

   js: Wonders whether we've complicated our problem by trying to avoid creating any new file format, or additional piece
   to create and manage hierarchical nav.

   ec: No, not because our problem will be the same regardless of what provides us the data for where nav needs to take
   the user

Texted Descriptions: Requirements on A11y APIs

   ec: Suggest we're overloading the term 'pause'
   ... If time flow stops because text/TTS exceeds video time, that's not pause that's a different kind of pause and we
   need another term

   js: the TTS caused behaviior is a different pause

   <silvia> it's called "paused for user interaction"

   ec: already is to the ua

   <silvia> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-iframe-element.html#paused-for-user-interaction

   jf: it needs to resync itself?

   ec: no.
   ... spec already has 'pause for user interaction'

   jf: a problem of understanding?

   ec: yes

   sp: yes
   ... Thankfully, this is something we don't need to solve for html, it's for the a11y apis

3GPP Request Followup http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0316.html

   We're missing people for this.

   jf: Can we take this conversation off this meeting? Don't believe it needs to be here.

   jb: Yes, if people are agreeable

   [no objection]

   re action-109 on sean re queues that come out of order -- goes back to March

   jf: I'll email him.
   ... also an action on me re a bug not sure what it is
   ... js can close actions 126 127

   <silvia> action-128?

   <trackbot> ACTION-128 -- Silvia Pfeiffer to follow-up on @transcript attribute -- due 2011-06-01 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/128

   action-126 closed

   <trackbot> ACTION-126 Take the user reqs and tech reqs and get that published under PF closed

   action-127 closed

   <trackbot> ACTION-127 Work with authors of HTML alt techniques document and HTML a11y user agent implementation guide
   to add the aria-describedby video example there closed

   jf: action-128 on sp -- refreshed. have updated our wiki.

   <silvia> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Alt_Technologies <- I updated this

   action-130 clsed

   action-130 closed

   <trackbot> ACTION-130 Should file bugs on this closed

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: Janina_Sajka
Present: Judy Janina frankolivier John_Foliot Eric_Carlson +61.2.801.2.aacc silvia


-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Wednesday, 15 June 2011 23:07:49 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 04:42:41 GMT