Text Subteam: ARIA long text concerns noted

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:20:59 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Cc: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>

The following excerpt from the Text Subteam inutes from June 13 tasked
me to forward our concerns regarding an ARIA based approach for long
text descriptions to the HTML-WG:

>                                       HTML A11Y Text Alternatives Sub-Group Teleconference
>    jb: Notes request for alternate proposals issued May 25, and expecting Jonas proposal may be coming soon
>    jjb: Reviewing our concern?
>    jf: That ARIA approach may be insufficient at this time
>    ... Backward compatibility, ability to consume/not on demand, and support in AT
>    <judy> ACTION: janina will start the conversation thread with jason about the three concerns just above [recorded in
>    http://www.w3.org/2011/06/13-text-minutes.html#action05]
>    <judy> js: the question here is the things that we would expect that Jonas's approach could _not_ handle; propose to
>    raise those concerns now
>    <judy> ...would lead to a frustrating user experience

My post to the HTML list can be found at:

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200

Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)