W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > January 2011

Re: Status on reopening longdesc Issue 30 (was Re: longdesc use cases)

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:24:17 -0500
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Message-ID: <20110131232417.GC15039@sonata.rednote.net>
Hi, Laura:


Laura Carlson writes:
> Hello Everyone,
> 
> I've drafted a Change Proposal for when ISSUE 30 is reopened. It is a
> combination of what Gregory and I wrote for the Verbose Descriptor
> Requirements doc [1]; what Chaals wrote for his change proposal [2];
> and what I have written and complied in the longdesc research page
> [3].
> 
I'm a bit confused. Your doc asks the WG to discuss, but your email came
to the TF. Is it your intent that the TF work to perfect this document?
If so, I would happily cede my action item on starting a draft and work
with you on improving your proposal.


I think you've made a great start, but I believe several things need to
be addressed before submitting this proposal to the WG Chairs. Most
critically, I don't find your presentation of use cases at all clear,
and that was the core of the rejection at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Aug/att-0112/issue-30-decision.html

For instance, you name a "Primary Use Case," but there's no clearly
named "Secondary Use Case" that I see on a quick read through.

I also don't see a clear rebuttal to the Chairs assertion that figure
and aria-describedby are available options, though there's allusion to
the latter.

On the other hand, I think there's a lot in your proposal that's very
good. I'd prefer to work with you on perfecting it, rather than on
drafting from scratch. So, please advise on your intent here.

Janina

> The Change Proposal to reinstate longdesc is at:
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
> 
> Ideas for improvement would be appreciated.
> 
> Janina, do you intend to write the request to have Issue 30 reopened?
> If not I can write something simple like Steve wrote to reopen Issue
> 133, maybe like:
> 
> <draft>
> 
> Dear Chairs,
> 
> Please consider re-opening issue 30. New information has been gathered
> and a change proposal has been developed.
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc
> 
> <end draft>
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Best Regards,
> Laura
> [1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Verbose_desc_reqs
> [2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/longdesc
> [3] http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld.html
> -- 
> Laura L. Carlson
> 
> On 1/24/11, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Janina,
> >
> > What is the status on your ACTION-102: - "draft request for
> > reconsideration on Issue-30"?
> > http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/102
> >
> > It was due January 20. Do you need any help?  If you do please let us know.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Laura
> >
> > On 1/18/11, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Janina and all,
> >>
> >> In last week's accessibility task force teleconference minutes I noted
> >> that you took an action to to draft a request for reconsideration of
> >> HTML-ISSUE-30 longdesc. [1]
> >>
> >> I have added some use cases to the longdesc research page [3] as the
> >> Chairs' Decision [2] stated "The strongest argument against inclusion
> >> was the lack of use cases that clearly and directly support this
> >> specific feature of the language. "
> >>
> >> If you think it would help the request to reopen the longdesc
> >> decision, please feel free to use this use case information.
> >>
> >> If anyone has ideas for improvement or suggestions for additional use
> >> cases, please let me know.
> >>
> >> Janina, last month I filed [4] bug 11447 on the decision policy
> >> regarding the procedure for reopening an issue. It hasn't been
> >> resolved yet. A resolution on that bug may help you with your action
> >> item [5].
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Laura
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-html-a11y-minutes.html#item08
> >> [2] http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld.html#uclist
> >> [3]
> >> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Aug/att-0112/issue-30-decision.html
> >> [4] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11447
> >> [5] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/102
> >>
> >> --
> >> Laura L. Carlson
> 
> -- 
> Laura L. Carlson

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Monday, 31 January 2011 23:26:11 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:17 UTC