[media] Minutes: HTML-A11Y Media Subteam on 23 February at 22:00Z for 90 Minutes

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:15:56 +1100
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Minutes of today's media subteam can be found at
(I don't have the right to make them public, so an admin will have to
look at that)

Public logs are at: http://www.w3.org/2011/02/23-html-a11y-irc
and below.

Best Regards,

IRC log of html-a11y on 2011-02-23
Timestamps are in UTC.

22:01:16 [RRSAgent]
    RRSAgent has joined #html-a11y
22:01:16 [RRSAgent]
    logging to http://www.w3.org/2011/02/23-html-a11y-irc
22:01:57 [JF]
    JF has joined #html-a11y
22:03:54 [silvia]
    silvia has joined #html-a11y
22:03:58 [sean]
    sean has joined #html-a11y
22:04:41 [judy_]
    zakim, this is WAI_PF
22:04:41 [Zakim]
    ok, judy_; that matches WAI_PFWG(A11Y)5:00PM
22:05:09 [judy_]
    Meeting: Media Sub-team of HTML5 Accessibility Task Force
22:05:47 [Zakim]
22:06:50 [silvia]
    scribe: Silvia
22:07:40 [silvia]
    zakim, unmute me
22:07:40 [Zakim]
    Silvia should no longer be muted
22:07:52 [frankolivier]
    frankolivier has joined #html-a11y
22:08:26 [Zakim]
22:08:28 [silvia]
    Topic 1: Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
22:09:01 [silvia]
22:09:01 [trackbot]
    ACTION-99 -- Janina Sajka to annotate 9452 with clear audio
discovery and selection, as well as independent control of multiple
playback tracks -- due 2011-01-19 -- OPEN
22:09:01 [trackbot]
22:09:05 [judy_]
    agenda+ Identify Scribe
22:09:05 [judy_]
    agenda+ Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
22:09:05 [judy_]
    agenda+ Issue-152 Multitrack API
22:09:05 [judy_]
    agenda+ Poster
22:09:05 [judy_]
    agenda+ Time Tracks & SYMPTE
22:09:05 [judy_]
    agenda+ Other Business?
22:09:08 [judy_]
    agenda+ be done
22:09:58 [silvia]
    delayed since Janina is not available today
22:10:15 [silvia]
    may possibly overlap with the multitrack proposals
22:12:13 [silvia]
    judy: are there any issues that we have that require change
proposals - cut-off date is tonight
22:12:20 [silvia]
    JF + silvia: probably not
22:12:35 [silvia]
    .. issue-99 overlaps a lot with issue-152
22:12:51 [silvia]
22:13:05 [silvia]
    Topic 2: Issue-152 Multitrack API
22:13:17 [silvia]
    JF: where do we stand?
22:13:43 [silvia]
    are we able to get another change proposal to counter the existing
one before the deadline for counter proposals?
22:13:49 [silvia]
    this is the march 22nd deadline
22:13:53 [silvia]
    Eric: definitely
22:14:14 [silvia]
    Silvia: yes, I am definitely going to work on another 2-3 change
proposals as well
22:14:36 [silvia]
    Eric: I am not sure how we will get to concensus
22:14:55 [silvia]
     but Dave Singer and I have a definite idea how this should work
and we will at least put in this change proposal
22:15:34 [silvia]
    Judy: that's great news
22:16:33 [judy_]
    s/great news/great news to hear the clarification that you have a
clear proposal coming up to offer/
22:17:35 [judy_]
22:18:11 [silvia]
    silvia: Philip seems to have a clear idea on how to do it, so
maybe another change proposal
22:18:28 [silvia]
    .. the HTTP adaptive streaming proponents have a clear idea and
there will be another one from there
22:19:08 [silvia]
    .. next steps are now clear from the schedule of issue handling
22:19:25 [silvia]
    .. not sure if there is a possibility of the chair moving this to
a last call issue
22:20:08 [silvia]
    JF: after all the change proposals come in there will be a call
for concensus
22:20:30 [silvia]
    Judy: I would be concerned if this would be moved to a last call
issue, because it will be damaging to a11y
22:20:47 [silvia]
    Eric: it would be good to discuss this at the F2F
22:20:55 [silvia]
    JF: who will be there?
22:21:15 [silvia]
    Sean and Eric will be there
22:21:24 [silvia]
    Silvia is trying to get it organised
22:22:04 [silvia]
    JF: this is good because it is shortly before the April 22nd deadline
22:22:15 [silvia]
    Eric: will Frank be there?
22:22:29 [silvia]
    Frank: not decided yet, but would like to be there
22:23:14 [silvia]
    Silvia: is there a means for the F2F to have a focused subgroup on media?
22:23:24 [silvia]
    JF: possibly, there is no agenda at this stage
22:23:46 [silvia]
     I think central meetings make sense, and then have break-out groups
22:24:23 [silvia]
    Judy: we don't want to double-purpose the meeting, in particular
for people like Janina that need to be in the main meeting
22:24:56 [silvia]
     maybe in sequence with the PF work would work
22:25:21 [silvia]
    .. do people think it needs a full 2 days of discussion?
22:25:25 [silvia]
    Silvia: I think so
22:25:33 [silvia]
    Eric: it's hard to predict
22:25:42 [silvia]
    .. depends on what we do between now and then
22:26:47 [silvia]
    Judy: maybe we can crystallize specific issues in the larger group
and then send off a smaller break-out group for detailed engineering
22:27:35 [silvia]
     depends on W3C's plan for the meeting, but maybe we can organize
to have our issue focused at the start
22:27:45 [silvia]
     or we could start on Friday evening with a warm-up
22:27:57 [silvia]
    JF: is this a TF F2F or a WAI F2F?
22:28:18 [silvia]
     everyone will want to drill into their specific issues at some
point, e.g. Canvas etc
22:28:32 [judy_]
    judy thinks it may indeed be a TF F2F
22:28:53 [judy_]
    s/WAI F2F/PFWG F2F/
22:29:41 [janina]
    janina has joined #html-a11y
22:30:42 [judy_]
22:31:15 [judy_]
    JF: do we have any common ground on 152 now?
22:31:44 [judy_]
    EC: yes, some. including the Microsoft proposal. The proposals
just going about it in diff ways.
22:32:04 [janina]
    Suggest we look for ways to open a discussion with ISO--rather
than going independently forward
22:32:06 [judy_]
    JF: we seem to have a short term plan. anything more to do on this today?
22:32:43 [judy_]
    EC: worth discussing in email. narrow approaches before discussion
at CSUN TF meeting.
22:33:03 [judy_]
    janina -- the san diego meeting, is it PFWG, or TF?
22:33:08 [janina]
22:33:32 [judy_]
    we want to do some media stuff on sat morn, is that ok? w/ the tf mtg?
22:33:39 [judy_]
    qu to janina above
22:33:46 [janina]
    Absolutely. Critical to have thorough conversations on that
22:34:24 [silvia]
    judy: JF, please let Michael know that we want a big media focus
on the meeting
22:34:25 [judy_]
    [janina: then the media folks may break out & do detailed stuff on
the side.]
22:34:35 [janina]
22:34:50 [janina]
    That might mean two rooms?
22:35:14 [silvia]
    JF: what is happening with FCC VPAAC?
22:35:44 [silvia]
    Judy: there was a VPAAC meeting this afternoon of WG 3 and the one
mostly related to our questions is in WG 1
22:35:49 [JF]
    Janina yes, I will contact Michael Cooper and advise
22:36:08 [silvia]
    .. I requested a confirmation from the chairs and there is no
meeting for WG 1 scheduled yet
22:36:22 [silvia]
    .. delayed because of the Oscars actually
22:36:56 [silvia]
    .. wanted to make them fully aware that there are two specs and
encourage more discussions about it
22:37:28 [silvia]
    .. there also seems to be something happening at ISO
22:37:54 [silvia]
    silvia: what is the ISO related stuff?
22:38:16 [silvia]
    Judy: it's about a potentially copyrighted piece of work that is related
22:38:37 [silvia]
    Silvia: sounds like this is about DASH, which is related to HTTP
adaptive streaming
22:38:45 [silvia]
    JF: and thus circles back to Issue-152
22:39:40 [silvia]
    JF: is there anything that this group can do to help FCC VPAAC in
their work?
22:39:48 [janina]
    Will VPAAC deal with Issue-152-type questions?
22:40:20 [janina]
    PS: I'm working on getting us official copies/linkage to ISO/IEC
SC29 WG 11 re Issue-152
22:40:44 [silvia]
    Judy: I don't think they will particularly deal with multitrack,
but more about formats
22:40:55 [silvia]
     it's advisory, not prescriptive
22:41:27 [silvia]
    silvia: just to clarify - are they not going to put out a
requirement for vendors to support a particular format?
22:41:31 [janina]
    They may need to be perscriptive to some degree--to make sure that
content and equipment are creating to the same standards??
22:42:12 [silvia]
    Judy: detail on the implementation questions are not fully clear yet
22:42:48 [silvia]
    Eric: Geoff said in email that even if it wasn't prescriptive,
their choice of format(s) would have that kind of effect
22:42:58 [silvia]
    Judy: yes, very likely
22:43:16 [silvia]
    JF: seems we need to monitor this issue
22:43:54 [silvia]
    Judy: keeping the discussions here moving in a timely way would
help immensely the work at FCC VPAAC
22:44:09 [silvia]
    .. this is why I am concerned if we cannot make headway on the
multitrack work
22:45:03 [silvia]
    .. it would be good to clarify here within W3C whether we will
focus on WebVTT or support TTML/SMPTE-TT as well
22:45:35 [silvia]
    JF: is there something we need to do wrt TimedTracks that we
haven't accomplished yet?
22:45:59 [silvia]
    Judy: we need to narrow down the multitrack options as quickly as possible
22:46:14 [silvia]
    .. and get something filed as much in advance
22:46:41 [silvia]
    JF: just to clarify - the multitrack API issue is the one where we
have some competing proposals
22:47:06 [silvia]
    .. but that has nothing directly to do with the caption formats
22:47:22 [Zakim]
22:47:29 [janina]
    Can we not use "caption" fpor all the texted alternative formats?
22:47:42 [Zakim]
22:47:58 [silvia]
    sorry, Janina - caption format seems to be what the FCC is about,
which is why I used that term in this case
22:48:17 [janina]
    We may need to get them to fix their language, too! <grin>
22:48:20 [silvia]
    but you are right of course
22:48:40 [janina]
    I've ben having that same conversation here in ISO SC35 today
22:49:21 [silvia]
    JF: for the FCC VPAAC, my take is that our group thinks that
WebVTT meets a lot of requirements, and SMPTE-TT meets a lot of
requirements, neither meets all
22:49:31 [silvia]
     so that is probably all we can give the FCC VPAAC at this time
22:50:01 [judy_]
    [judy clarifies in response to john, above, i understand that
there are two questions on the table. the timing issue is common to
both. the narrowing options is specific to multitrack.]
22:50:02 [silvia]
    JF: any other business?
22:50:08 [janina]
    We can also say amatuer, small media adopters tend toward the SRT
derivative, while industry is moving toward SYMPT
22:50:32 [silvia]
    silvia: I am wondering if Judy and Janina can report on their
discussions at ISO on what is related to our work?
22:50:46 [silvia]
    Judy: I don't think any of the discussions today were related to media
22:50:54 [janina]
    Better Judy--I'm trying to be involved here--and also in my SC35 meeting!
22:51:54 [silvia]
    .. maybe Janina can do a report
22:52:06 [silvia]
    silvia: seems she is rather busy, maybe on the next call
22:52:16 [janina]
    Definitely next call
22:52:17 [silvia]
    JF: or via email - she is in London next week
22:53:15 [silvia]
    JF: we have lots of work to do till March 22nd, but right now we
don't seem to have further need to discuss today
22:53:44 [silvia]
    Judy: question to Eric - when do you think your change proposal
will be ready?
22:53:53 [janina]
    Short Story: We're setting up mutual liaison relationships. Judy
is W3C liaison to SC35, I'm probably going to be SC35 liaison to W3C
22:53:55 [silvia]
    Eric: if there is a need, we can probably have it done in 2 weeks
22:54:50 [silvia]
    note for minutes: ISO SC35 is about User interfaces, see
22:55:35 [silvia]
    JF: I think our time currently could be more productively used in
discussions than in writing competing change proposals
22:55:51 [silvia]
    .. hopefully we can write a common change proposal in the F2F that
we can all agree on
22:56:02 [silvia]
    .. rather than too many competing change proposals right now
22:56:26 [silvia]
    Eric: I agree, discussions around the wiki page that silvia set up
are most productive now
22:56:43 [janina]
22:56:54 [silvia]
    JF: thanks everyone for this short call - keep discussing!
22:57:03 [Zakim]
22:57:06 [Zakim]
22:57:07 [Zakim]
22:57:09 [Zakim]
22:57:15 [Zakim]
22:57:26 [Zakim]
    - +54558aaaa
22:57:28 [Zakim]
    WAI_PFWG(A11Y)5:00PM has ended
22:57:30 [Zakim]
    Attendees were John_Foliot, Judy, +54558aaaa, Eric_Carlson,
Silvia, [Microsoft]
22:59:17 [silvia]
    rrsagent, make logs member