Re: Minutes: HTML-A11Y Task Force on 17 February at 16:00Z

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:40:51 -0500
CC: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On 02/17/2011 12:36 PM, Martin Kliehm wrote:

> <Zakim> oedipus, you wanted to ask about the "single" chance to change
> the chairs' decision
>
> JF. We've been announcing this for a while, so it could have been on the
> radar that there is a proposal in the making. It has been explained in
> mails that even though the deadline has passed it could be reconsidered.
>
> <oedipus> paulc was the first on the bridge
>
> <oedipus> MikeSmith, you've been the one reminding us of a "single"
> chance to have chairs' decision reopened -- can you clarify?
>
> PC: In the W3C culture there's no "single chance." The process is if new
> compelling evidence is put on the table issues can be re-opened or
> amended anytime. This has happened many times in the past.
>
> MS: I agree with Paul. There's nothing in the process that limits a
> proposal to one shot.

Can anybody cite where it was stated that there would only be a single
chance?  In every case I can remember, what actually was stated was
along the lines of "don't assume that there will be multiple chances".

My read is that the case that Laura has been pulling together is strong.
  That statement cuts both ways: if it proves NOT to be the strongest
case put forward, then it effectively will establish a significantly
higher bar by which the chairs evaluate "new information" in any
potential future requests to reopen this issue.

- Sam Ruby