Re: Request to re-open issue 131

Hi Jonas,

thanks for your reply.

you wrote:
> For any feature that we introduce to the web platform we need to have
> use cases.

Laura Carlson collected information on the use cases:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Canvas_Accessibility_Use_Cases

you wrote:

>However even for hit testing and focus management, maybe we would
>design the API differently if we weren't trying to use them to built
>text editors. I really don't know enough about accessibility to fully
>answer that.

For hit testing, example uses and background is provided by  Frank
Olivier in the  doc i pointed to:
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Canvas_hit_testing

He has also publicly stated that building text editors in canvas is a
'fools errand':
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Nov/0210

So I think it is reasonable to assume that Franks hit testing proposal
is not motivated by the desire to build text editors in canvas.

For text baseline the rationale is outlined in the change proposal:
Modify existing Canvas 2D API to expose text baseline and facilitate
drawing of focus rings
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline

in essence:
"to facilitate drawing of focus rings around text to support screen
magnifier users"

Is this minor addition to the canvas text drawing methods proposed to
facilitate the building of text editors in canvas? I think not, but
clarification from Rich/Charles would be useful.

For Focus Management the details are in the change proposal
Modify existing Canvas 2D API caret and focus ring support to drive
screen magnification
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelection

Are the methods proposed designed to facilitate the building of text
editors in canvas? I think not, but clarification from Rich/Charles
would be useful.

regards
Stevef

--