Re: Response to: ChangeProposals/DeprecateLongdesc

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:17:29 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Hi y'all,

Very interesting discussion. As Janina indicated an issue with auto read
@aria-described by is to do with AT focus after content has been
announced or the announced content is abandoned - this is difficult as
the behaviour traditionally would mean that the next item within the
source order of the document structure would be announced/recieve focus.
I guess the following item (or even next active decendent) should be
given focus or a child of the parent element - anyway this is slightly OT.

FWIW, I like the interaction model of the user agent being able to
'front load' or buffer certain content. So element content like
@longdesc could be buffered by the screen reader and then announced on a
keypress by the user. On detection of a @longdesc  elememt the UA could
announce that the element is present and the screen reader automatically
update its virtual buffer to load it. I think this could result in a
nice user experience.

I am aware, that it is technically beyond the scope of the spec to
mandate the user experience (though in some ways I feel it does,
however) but I just wanted to share my idea.

Cheers

Josh