Re: Response to: ChangeProposals/DeprecateLongdesc

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:56:01 -0500
To: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
Hi John,

> In preparation for the text sub-team's teleconference of Aug. 22, please
> find my draft response here:
>
> Response to: ChangeProposals/DeprecateLongdesc -
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Jfoliot/longdescresponse

Thanks for your work on this, John.

I previously mentioned to Janina and Judy that if someone else
addressed the ARIA proposal prior to the HTML working group objection
survey and if ARIA proposal is withdrawn, I wouldn't have to address
it. So I am happy to see your document. I hope it accomplishes the
outcome of Jonas withdrawing his proposal.

If it doesn't, I have my objections to Jonas' proposal for the HTML WG
longdesc objection survey drafted. My objection covers most of the
same territory as yours and more. It is more detailed as to why
longdesc should not be dropped in favor of aria-describedby/hidden. I
hope your words work so I don't have to use mine. Out of respect for
the ARIA folks, I'll stay out of the discussion for the time being.
But if Jonas' proposal is not withdrawn, I am prepared for the
objection survey.

Again, thanks for your efforts.