(unknown charset) Re: [text] Update on @summary CP

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:44:32 +0200
To: (unknown charset) Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Cc: (unknown charset) HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Joshue,

As mentioned off this list, I created a test page back in June, in
order to check AT support for table@summary versus AT support for
table@aria-label/-labelledby/-describedby

http://malform.no/testing/html5/table+aria.html

My findings were that support for @aria-label/-labelledby/-describedby
were only universially implemented for the IMG element - for the
bad if present at all. For @summary, in contrast, the support were
much, much better.

In fact, accordings from my notes from 29th of June, NVDA+Firefox where
the only AT/UA combination which announced ARIA labels and descriptions
for non-IMG elements. Whereas the great majority of AT combinations did
announce @summary.

Thus, at the current stage, removing support for @summary from HTML5
means that - for the broad range of ATs - there is nothing that can
replace it  (that is: apart from heuristical methods).

I would suggest that you add these findings to your CP. (E.g. inside
the paragraphs labelled 'Screen reader test details'.) Feel free to
link to the test page, to this letter and to add suitable text.
--
Leif Halvard Silli