Re: [media] proposed a11y TF letter on issue-152

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:06:02 -0700
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Apr 20, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> The undersigned members of the media subgroup of the accessibility task
>> force have agreed to withdraw proposals 1-3 in favor of proposal 4.
>>
>> However, we request the following additions to be made to the proposal:
>
> I suggest we go one step further, and have me withdraw the 4th proposal as
> well. This would allow the issue to close without prejudice. We could then
> just use the normal process to update the spec to add the MediaController
> feature, which I would be happy to do (indeed it's already in the spec
> source, just currently clipped out of the W3C copy). The advantage of this
> is that it doesn't leave any confusion as to whether we can make changes
> to the spec on issues that were the subject of a formal Decision.
>
> Would anyone object to that?

I guess I should also mention that if the issue is resolved by consensus, then it's not necessarily relevant whether there is a formal Change Proposal, just that everyone agrees to the changes actually made. If changes *are* going to be made, then I think it's more accurate to declare consensus rather than "closed without prejudice". In neither case would further refinements be precluded.

Regards,
Maciej