Re: [media] proposed a11y TF letter on issue-152

On 04/20/2011 09:00 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> We appreciate the extra time provided to us by the chairs to further
> discuss the submitted four change proposals and come to an agreement.
> There have indeed been lengthy discussions during the provided time
> frame and we have made great progress.

Something to consider: think about what you could do if you had until
May 14th...[1]

> The group has come to a consensus on which proposal to support. While
> some of our feedback on that change proposal has already been taken on
> board, there is still a list of 5 outstanding changes that need to be
> addressed for the specification text to be complete.

One way to proceed is to see if that number can be reduced between now
and Friday, and then to have a survey on the remaining items (asking for
objections to INCLUDING and objections to EXCLUDING each change).  The
results of the decision will affect what goes out in the Last Call.  The
standard for revisiting the decision would be New Information or a
Formal Objection.

Another way to proceed is to open bug reports on each and continue to
work on them until May 14th.  Changes over which there is WG consensus
can be made during that time.  Changes that reduce consensus can be
reverted[2].

With the second approach, it still will be possible to raise issues and
have these issues resolved in time for HTML5 (as in CR, PR, and Rec).
What you gain if you go this way is a few more weeks to find WG wide
consensus.  What you lose is the opportunity to get these changes into
the spec in time for Last Call over objections should the chairs find
that there to be stronger objections to EXCLUDING these changes than
there is to INCLUDING these changes.

At this point, the issue has been raised and Change Proposals have been
written so the only way we will decide to close this issue and proceed
with bugs is if we have Amicable Consensus to do so.  If anybody objects
to such an approach, we will go with a survey.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0759.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Sep/0125.html