Re: longdesc (was Re: minutes: HTML Accessibility Task Force Weekly Call 2011-03-31 [draft])

Hi all,

my understanding and thoughts:

1.the html task force seek to have an agreed  position on longdesc in a
short time frame
2. continuing to refine/change/update the extremely detailed change proposal
Laura has developed means that it is difficult to achieve agreement as
nobody is sure what they are agreeing to
3. What the HTML wg chairs require when they reconsider this issue is [1]:

   - use cases that specifically require longdesc,
   - evidence that correct usage is growing rapidly and that that growth is
   expected to continue, or
   - widespread interoperable implementation.

4. due to the  requirements above any change proposal should concentrate on
providing such evidence. the proposal should be succinct as is possible so
as not to drown out the new evidence.

5. we should not seek at this time to expand the scope of what is required
which is i believe:

A feature that provides an explicit and unambiguous method of associating an
image with a description of the image.

6. From discussions at the San Diego face 2 face we should attempt to
achieve consensus on it NOT being a requirement that  longdesc only be
available to users of AT. In discussions with the developers of NVDA, what
they do not want is to implement an AT only method of access, they want the
browsers to provide the functionality.
7. in regards to the above i would suggest that recommending browsers to
implement longdesc in a way that can be available to any user will solve
many of the problems that are perceived as being part of longdesc, while not
taking away the essential capability of longdesc to be an "unambiguous
method of associating an image with a description of the image"

If we can agree on the points above I think a change proposal that
encapsulates the above could be produced in short order.

regards
stevef

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Aug/att-0112/issue-30-decision.html