Re: Proof of growth of acceptance/implementation - longdesc

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:37:11 +0200
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Wed, 22 Sep 2010 07:14:07 +0100:
> On 22 Sep 2010, at 02:08, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> However, clearly, this demonstrates that the lack of validity and
>> definition of @longdesc in HTML5 only serves to pollute @longdesc even
>> more.
>
> How? Drew Wilson's misuse of "longdesc" is /premised/ on its validity
> ("longdesc is a completely valid image attribute") and he is aware of
> the correct definition ("is meant to contain a URL to a description
> of the image"): he's just choosing to ignore it.
>
> http://www.addfullsize.com/

-- snip ...

I don't see that you add anything new here. Instead you underline
everything I said. Even your conclusion that he needs the data-
attribute, has already been said by me. Still we see things differently

Drew uses the word 'valid' in a really remarkable way ... He only mean
to say that the attribute 'exists'.

The 'how' relates to the Longdesc Lottery article: the crown argument
there - as I read it at least - is all the bad data, the wrong use of
@longdesc. A plug-in that only contribute to that wrong use of course
serve to pollute @longdesc even more. What we, the @longdesc supports
as well as the HTMLwg is looking for, is correct use.

I don't think you can add new data on Drew's misuse, so I won't give it
anymore comments.
--
leif halvard silli