Re: Proposal: Add a modal element to html5 to indicate a modal segment of the DOM (modal dialog)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:24:04 -0700
To: "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@zufelt.ca>, "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html-a11y@w3.org
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 05:35:22 -0700, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everett,
>
> I heartily support this, as its a major and common issue for keyboard and
> assistive technology users.
>
> you wrote:
>
> "Add a modal element to html5 to indicate a modal segment of the DOM
> (modal dialog)"
>
> any reason why it could not be a modal attribute?

I think it makes a lot more sense as an attribute - so you set something
to be modal, and unset it on completion of whatever has to be done. I had
a long SMS discussion with John Foliot, to tease the out reason behind my
intuition, and it is basically that it makes for a more natural
programming style.

cheers

chaals