Re: use of aria-hidden to provide a text description not visible on the page.

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:10:41 +0200
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Steven Faulkner, Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:00:50 +0100:
> Hi Leif,
>>Many ARIA supporting ATs doesn't actually seem to support this. :-(
>
> i don't think this is a correct statement.
>>Jaws11+Firefox3.6.9 is a quite common AT: It supports aria-labelledby.
>>But fails to expose (to users) labels that have been hidden with CSS
>>display:none or visibility:hidden.
>
> worked for me for both aria-describedby and aria-labelledby
> referencing a div hidden using CSS display:none

Well NVDA works. Jaws don't. For me. I use Windows XP - perhaps you
have another Windows version (I don't know what impacts the result)? My
Jaws installment is fresh. I add a test page as attachment to this
message, so you check if you get a different result.

>> And Jaws+IE7 at least isn't any better.
> and so it shouldn't be since IE7 does not implement ARIA support.

I wanted to make the point that aria-hidden="true" is useful for
progressive enhancement - aimed at AT users. And the fact that IE7
doesn't implement ARIA is just another argument in favor of that view,
sine it means that one cannot use display:none to hide a label if one
wants to make the page compatible for Jaws+IE7 users.

--
leif halvard silli