Re: use of aria-hidden to provide a text description not visible on the page.

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:55:46 +0200
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Steven Faulkner, Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:42:32 +0100:

>>Did you by "should it be given that the div is hidden?"
> No i was hoping to get confirmation that the behaviour exhibited is
> indeed correct in regards to the aria spec, it seems pretty clear to
> me that it is, I am just surprised by it.

I think you misread ARIA 1.0 -  it says: [1]

]] Skip hidden elements unless the author specifies to use them via an
aria-labelledby or aria-describedby  [ snip ]. [[

Note that it says "hidden elements". It does not say "aria-hidden
elements". The word 'hidden' has a definition: [2]

]] Hidden
Indicates that the element is not visible or perceivable to any user.
Note: Authors are reminded that visibility:hidden and display:none
apply to all CSS media types; therefore, use of either will hide the
content from all renderers, regardless of modality. Authors using other
techniques (for example, opacity or off-screen positioning) to visibly
'hide' content should ensure the aria-hidden attribute is updated
accordingly.[[

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#textalternativecomputation
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#def_hidden
--