RE: Media--Additional Requirement for Sec. 2.6 Captioning?

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> We need to be aware that we had a very single-sided sample
> of users at the NYC event: a US user representative,
> hard-of-hearing, and of rather advanced age. Other countries
> have different representations for the text with placement
> offsets - in particular the Australian Captioning Centre,
> that I used to have a project with, had the requirement from
>users that the placement underneath the speaker really helped
> and I know from Germany that colors were used frequently there.
> Also, younger people may have different preferences. The
> preference may have as much to do with what you are used to as
> it has with what is really more usable. It might be worth asking
> this particular question about preferences of other
> hard-of-hearing or deaf people to get a better sample of input.

So JF is running stupid this week, but just a quick thought here re:
Germany's use of color. While I think the case could be made (has been
made?) that we need to support some form of styling in our synched text
files (CSS?) I caution that WCAG is quite specific that the use of color
alone to convey important information is problematic. Thus while we should
encourage the ability of styling, this statement made me cringe ever so
slightly.

FWIW

JF