Re: [media] restructuring of the requirements document

Hi, Silvia:

My initial reaction is that this is a great start. Just a few comments
below.

Silvia Pfeiffer writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a thorough read of the requirements document for media
> accessibility, now at
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements .
Thanks for getting this moved.

> I am proposing to change the structure to the following:
>

> 1. Understanding the needs of sensory impaired users
We'll want to work on this. I don't have an immediate replacement,
though.

Suffice it to say for now that we'll want to follow common language
usage of WAI (and other standards organizations) on this.

> This will contain everything from the first section up until 1.1.
>
> I propose to create a structure for this by listing the different
> types of users, which are currently described each in a different
> paragraph:
> 1.1 Blind
> 1.2 Low vision
> 1.3 Atypical color perception
> 1.4 Deaf / HoH
May be useful to split this in two as there are significant differences.

> 1.5 Deaf-blind
> 1.6 Dexterity / Mobility impairment
> 1.7 Learning disability
> 1.8 Autism
>
> 2. Alternative Content Technologies
>
> This will contain the list of alternative content that is being used
> to help the different types of users.
> For each of these content technologies, I propose to use 1-2
> paragraphs of terse free-text description what they are and how they
> are being used, then move on to listing the individual requirements in
> a numbered way.
> This requires merging some of the sections in 1 and all of the
> sections in 2 and extending those from 1 with numbered bulletpoints
> that don't yet have them.
>
> I propose the following structure:
> 2.1 Audio Description
> 2.2 Extended description
> 2.3 Clear Audio
> 2.4 Time Scale Modification
Suggest this really a control, so should be in Sec. 3 below.

> 2.5 Captioning
> 2.6 Extended captioning
> 2.7 Sign Translation
> 2.8 Transcripts
> 2.9 Content Navigation by Content Structure
Also suggest this as a control, so in Sec. 3 below.

> 3. System Requirements
>
> I would like to add this section with requirements for system-wide use
> of all of the alternative content technologies described in section 2.
> Everything that affects how the alternative content works together and
> with the media and other resources will go here.
>
> I'd propose something like the following structure:
> 3.1 Keyboard Access to interactive controls / menus
> 3.2 Production practice and resulting requirements
> 3.3 Requirements on browser settings
> 3.4 Discovery and activation/deactivation of available alternative
> content by the user
> 3.5 Requirements on the use of the viewport
> 3.6 Requirements on making properties available to the accessibility interface
> 3.7 Requirements on the parallel use of alternate content on
> potentially multiple devices in parallel
> <possibly more>
>
> There is possibly more that has to go here, but I wanted to separate
> the requirements on the alternate content (section 2) from the
> requirements on the accessibility system that makes all the alternate
> content work. I hope this is agreeable.

Thanks, Silvia.

Janina

--