CFC re ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 20:02:11 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
At our regular HTML-A11Y Teleconference on Thursday 29 April:
http://www.w3.org/2010/04/29-html-a11y-minutes.html

I was requested to draft and circulate resolution language implementing
our consensus guidance to the HTML-WG regarding ISSUE-32
"Table-Summary," http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/32 as agreed
in our teleconference.

This email provides this draft and serves as our Call for Consensus on
this question. Please expect a vote on the resolution at our upcoming
teleconference on Thursday 6 May.

Suggested edits, objections, additional comments, and votes by Task
Force members unable to attend the Thursday teleconference may be logged
by responding to this message no later than 23:59 Boston Time Friday 7
May (03:59Z Saturday 8 May).

Candidate Resolution

RESOLUTION: The HTML-A11Y Task Force supports the change proposal at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Summary_Change_Proposal_Nov_18,_2009
to reinstate table summary as conforming and not +obsolete. We adopt
this recommendation even as we continue engineering work on possible
enhancements to table summary. However,+any enhancements we might
propose would only elaborate on this proposal and, most particularly,
would not remove the support +for author provided text as has been
present in HTML4. Thus this recommendation serves as our baseline of
table summary support.

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net