RE: Format Requirements for Text Audio Descriptions (was Re: HTML5 TF from my team)

Geoff Freed wrote:

>> "Silvia Pfeiffer" wrote:
>>
>> Thinking about it in more depth, we may even want to use such an
>> attribute on captions and subtitles. It would indicate what will
>> happen if caption elements overlap into the next caption text cue, ie.
>> just display both (which would be the default) or clip the cue.
>> Pausing the video probably doesn't make sense for caption text.
>>
>> I like this attribute.
>
> GF:
I agree that this would be useful.  I’m not sure if I’m misinterpreting
> your comment about captions, but I do think that having the ability to
> pause video/audio tracks to allow for supplemental captions would be a
> good idea.  As there are cases for using extended audio descriptions to
> deliver extra information, there are cases for extended captions to do
> the same:  for example, a user could elect to view an extended caption
> track so that during a complex (pre-recorded) chemistry lecture, the
> video and audio pause in order to accommodate explanatory text.

+1 with Geoff & Silvia here.  It struck me that this type of attribute is
indeed useful, and quite likely easy for the browsers to implement.

JF