Re: Requirements for external text alternatives for audio/video

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:43:02 +1100
To: Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Cc: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org> wrote:

> GF:  I wouldn’t argue against any of these cases, and in fact would argue
> that some of examples Silvia mentions have advantages for people with
> learning disabilities who rely on captions for clarification or other
> purposes.  But Sean may have a point— this may be something for the wider
> HTML 5 group to deal with, not necessarily the accessibility group.  I’d
> have to give it some thought.

I think you're right. We won't get very far here with the technical
"details". But we do have to consider use cases, in particular as long
as they help accessibility.

> GF:  DFXP/TTML itself does not directly support hyperlinking (Sean, plz
> correct me if I’m wrong).  I believe the only way to do so is to use XLink,
> as specified in the Requirements table at http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#requirements.

If the use of DFXP requires implementation of XLink support as well,
that is a real headache. Could we just use a subpart of XLink that can
easily be mapped to <a href=".."></a>?
(http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/text-level-semantics.html#the-a-element)
Would that require an extension to DFXP?

Regards,
Silvia.