Re: Requirements for external text alternatives for audio/video

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:59:14 -0500
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Hi Silvia,

> I think there is actually a need to expose the text of the captions
> somewhat more.

Unless the full text transcript/video description is exposed and
obtainable by the user in HTML, some people will be locked out. Not
everyone worldwide has the availability of broadband. Not everyone can
use the video itself.

How do I know this? 56K dialup is the only internet connectivity at my
residence. Video doesn't work here. Text is the only option to obtain
video content. Video grinds everything to a crawl or halt or crash.

Just give me the transcript or better yet, a video description, please.

The deaf-blind use case is similar. They have zero need for the
bandwidth hogging of a video when all they want is a transcript/video
description.

>From the draft Design Principles, "Priority of Constituencies":

"In case of conflict, consider users over authors over implementors
over specifiers over theoretical purity."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#priority-of-constituencies