Re: keep CAPTCHA out of HTML5

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:58:40 -0400
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, public-html-a11y@w3.org
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
It does seem that saying that CAPTCHAs are bad, don't use them, is pointless, like pushing on a piece of string;  web site designers don't include them for fun, and they would use better techniques if they were available.

It also seems that removing the example from HTML5 is silly, because we know they happen, and we ought to provide guidance.  That guidance should probably be both:
a) the 'local to HTML5 guidance' on how to identify/label/title/etc. a CAPTCHA
b) the 'general guidance' pointers to WCAG or the previously cited note on CAPTCHAs and their general issues.

I assume the WCAG guidelines say that, if you do use them, try to provide at least a couple of alternatives using different modalities (e.g. standard visual one, and an 'answer this topical or logical question' one, which is accessible to screen readers etc.)

David Singer