Re: keep CAPTCHA out of HTML5

From: Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:24:05 -0700
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Mar 17, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Do images get transferred onto braille at all? Could it be done
> pixel-wise? I'm wondering if there could be a technical solution, even
> if it doesn't exist yet.

A braille-only user who's blind from birth breaks pretty much every model of multi-sensory CAPTCHA I'm aware of. Even if you could physically lay out a tactile version of a CAPTCHA in a way that the letters were perfectly clear (and CAPTCHAs use colors and visual perturbations to prevent that, because it increase the likelihood of a bot solving it), it'd consist of letterforms that such a user has never seen. They wouldn't be able to decipher the material presented in the image.

-