Re: Survey ready on Media Multitrack API proposal

From: Dick Bulterman <Dick.Bulterman@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:26:33 +0100
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
CC: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On the multi-track issue:

> I agree, but think that the "nice feature" is the possibility of having parallel text tracks, while having mutually exclusive tracks is absolutely fundamental. If we can't handle grouping in a nice way we can discard it and require scripts to achieve parallel text tracks. But let's finish this in the HTML WG.

I would continue to argue that two separate concepts are being mixed here:
1. a general mechanism for selecting alternative forms of content (or
structure), and
2. a synchronization mechanism that allows 0, 1, or more elements to be
displayed at the same time.

The first (which SMIL handles as <switch> and which is being reinvented
here as <trackgroup>) should be totally decoupled from the second (which
that of authors -- much easier in the future.

-d.